Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Dan Auerbach @ Williamsburg Music Hall. Brooklyn.

As you may know [unless you aren't a fan of The Black Keys or have been living under a rock], Dan Auerbach has taken his tremendous voice elsewhere and begun a solo project. He's already generated an album titled "Keep it Hid", which hit stores earlier this year on February 10th.

I am lucky enough to live in one of the few cities where Auerbach gave the gift of a live show and last night I got to open mine wide open, like an overexcited child on Christmas morning. Opening for him were Hacienda, coincidentally the same band who backs Auerbach on stage. Despite the show starting almost an hour late and therefore, a crowd full of tired and impatient fans, they were great and able to pull us out of our monotony. I must admit, I know very little about their background/music, so I won't write up a whole spiel and pretend as though I do, but I will say they had me dancing and thanking God that they weren't just another lame opening band pretending to be something they're not.

Dan Auerbach graced us with his presence shortly after and brought Hacienda back to the stage where they backed him as he belted out songs from "Keep it Hid" like "Street Walking" [an electrified bluesy track], "When the Night Comes" [one of the slower tracks on the album] and my personal favorite, "I Want Some More" [the gritty lead track]. The crowd was pumped from the second he took the stage and the energy only escalated as the night when on. After Auerbach left the stage, fans screamed, clapped and even stomped their feet on the ground to coax him back out. It worked and Auerbach gave us an encore, which barely pacified our need for more. I must admit, I've always known this man was a musical genius but was nervous to see him on his own. My nerves were eased after the first few pulsating beats of the opening song and I'd be lying if I said I had more fun at The Black Keys shows. Needless to say, when/if he tours again, my ass will be there.

Auerbach backed by Hacienda





Here is a video of "I Want Some More". I apologize for the poor visual quality.

PLEASE check out Dan's solo stuff at http://myspace.com/danauerbachmusic. I feel very strongly about this man.

No comments: