Friday, September 19, 2008

Ezra Furman & the Harpoons @ 3rd & Lindsley. Nashville.

I'm starting out here by saying that Ezra Furman and the Harpoons are the shit.


With that said, I attended their show at 3rd and Lindsley last night and was shocked at how engrossed I became in it. I first saw Ezra play at the WXPN festival in July in Philadelphia. They definitely got my attention, but I could have gone with never seeing them live again.. or so I thought.

This band makes me think of how Bob Dylan would sound if he were just starting out today, only a bit quirkier and with a mascot goose named "Mortimer". There are similarities, especially in Ezra Furman [the lead singer]'s voice. They popped out songs from their past album,"Banging Down the Doors", like "I Dreamed of Moses" and "How Long Diana?" and did newer songs like "We Should Fight" and "Take off Your Sunglasses" with the addition of a harmonica, which the crowd seemed to respond most to. Andrew Langer, guitarist for my favorite band of all time, The Redwalls, flew in to play guitar for this show and is also featured on Ezra's newest album [not yet in stores]. Ezra Furman and the Harpoons don't need him; however, his help certainly payed off and together, they made some beautiful music last night.

Check out Ezra Furman and the Harpoons @ http://www.myspace.com/ezrafurman
And if you like their music, go out and get their album, "Banging Down the Doors", then wait for their new album "Inside the Human Body" which should be in stores mid October.

No comments: