Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Virgins @ Bowery Ballroom. NYC.

My roommate and I headed up to Bowery Ballroom last night, hoping to see a damned good show. I was stoked to be returning to Bowery after not having been to a show there in over a year. It's definitely one of the better New York City venues. I was also quite giddy because my ticket read: "The Virgins", a band my roommate got me into months ago and whose playful songs never fail to lift my spirits and put me in the mood to have fun. The venue did not disappoint. The band, in a certain sense, did.

The four boys took the stage looking like youngsters starting out at a local pub or playing for fun in their garage. Donald Cumming,the lead singer, was a bit boring. In fact, they all were, not making much of an effort to acknowledge that the fans were even in the same room. The only one entertaining enough to keep my attention was Nick Ackerman (bass), who continuously made silly faces and stepped to the edge of the stage in order to get closer to us.

The songs sounded very different from what you hear on the album. I understand this could be a good thing for some people who like surprises and new sounds, but for someone who just wants to sing along like a big dork to the words she knows at the times when they're supposed to be sung, I was disappointed. In all honesty, I think the Virgins were just having an off night. They have potential, spunk and fresh, vivacious tunes. Then again, maybe they're just better when blaring from my iPod.



Donald Cumming


Nick Ackerman


Check out the Virgins at http://www.myspace.com/thevirginsnyc

No comments: