Monday, December 8, 2008

Michael Tolcher @ The Canal Room. NYC.


I went to my first concert in over a month last night. Yes, I finally had the money to do so. I went to the Canal Room to see Michael Tolcher. Opening for him was Bryan Greenberg. Graham Colton headlined.

Bryan Greenberg went to school at NYU before moving to L.A. to make it big in music and television. He starred on shows like "One Tree Hill" and "October Road". Apparently everyone in the room was obsessed with the man, as they acted as if he were a God. If you want my honest opinion, his songs were dull, cheesy and poorly written. I felt as though I was in an acoustic Disney-sponsored after school special. Moving on...

Tolcher arrived on stage next and I was never so relieved to see someone in all my life. He started with Mission Responsible and as soon as he sang the first words, chills ran up and down my spine. Because he had a time limit, only his most well-known songs were played, like Sooner or Later and Bad Habits. Halfway through the set, I looked around at the crowd and every single person was just staring at him, with content smiles on their faces, in complete awe. His voice has the ability to capture your attention in an instant and pull you away from anything you had previously been involved in. Drinks were untouched, small-talk had ceased, cameras were flashing nonstop.

Tolcher did two covers during the show. One was Eminem's Lose Yourself, which was cleverly planted in the middle of Bad Habits and had everyone in a fit of hysteria. The other came at the end of the set, which was With a Little Help From My Friends by the Beatles. Even though he's not much of a dancer, Tolcher was drenched in sweat by the last song and I'm pretty sure it's because he puts his whole heart into what he does and never fails to give every part of himself over to the crowd.
Tolcher
Graham Colton took the stage and did not get as big of a reaction as I assumed he'd get. I only stayed for two songs, as I am not a huge fan and was getting pushed around by a couple of drunk girls; however, I did manage to snag a picture and a video for your viewing pleasure. From what I heard, he and his music were good. Charming and pleasant, with a sense of humor... that goes for him and the songs.
Check out Michael Tolcher at http://www.myspace.com/michaeltolcher
and if you choose to do so, Greenberg at http://www.myspace.com/bryangreenberg... but don't say I didn't warn ya on the last one.

Colton
Here are videos of Colton and Tolcher:


First Week - Graham Colton


With a Little Help From My Friends cover - Michael Tolcher & friends

No comments: