Saturday, November 22, 2008

Friendly Fires Won't Leave You Cold

One dull New York City evening, my roommate was listening to her iTunes playlist on shuffle. I wasn't the least bit phased by it, so deep in a reading assignment, until I heard a catchy, dance-enducing tune that sounded as if a party had suddenly sprang into our dorm room. I instantly wanted to know the words to so that I could sing them at the tops of my lungs. The song was Jump in the Pool by Friendly Fires.

As three guys from England, Friendly Fires started out at a young age while still in school. After going through college, they signed with XL Recordings, came out with a few EPs, and just recently [September 1, 2008] released their self-titled debut album, which they impressively produced themselves [with the exception, ironically enough, of Jump in the Pool]. The album is as exciting as fireworks on the 4th of July and a product of three highly talented young men. If you need further proof that listening to their music will get you on your feet quicker than a free energy boost at Jamba Juice, you can find it in the song "On Board" which is featured in a Wii Fit commercial.

Their sound is very much Indie rock meets electronic club, so it seems this band would appeal to fans of a variety of genres. Take myself, for example. I'm not usually a big electronic/techno lover, but because in this case it is birthed by rock, it grabbed me the second I heard it. The electronic touch acts as the cherry on the sundae, an extra treat for your ears.

Check out Friendly Fires at http://www.wearefriendlyfires.com/

And if you're in L.A. or New York, you can check them out on tour early next month.



No comments: