Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Angie Aparo is a God

Roughly five years ago, I got a package in the mail from a penpal in Georgia. In this package was a photo, a handwritten letter, and a CD with a note on it that said something along the lines of "This will change your life". The album was "The American" by Angie Aparo. I popped it into my CD player and I refrained from removing it until weeks later.

Angie Aparo is a singer/songwriter from Atlanta, Georgia. He started out playing small acoustic shows in the south throughout the '90's. "The American" was released in 2000 and was made up of self-written songs including "Cry" which is crafted with heart-breaking lyrics like "Could you cry a little, lie just a little, pretend that you're feeling a little more pain". Sound familiar? It was made popular two years later when Faith Hill recorded a version on her album, "Cry". Don't let that fool you, though. Aparo's stuff does not mimic the country-pop sound of Faith Hill.

Today, Aparo has united with a band called the Infidels and those once acoustic songs now have a gritty, rock and roll sound. Ask me which I prefer and I cannot tell you. His older stuff is what you can listen to when you're feeling down, wanting a good [excuse the pun] cry. His new music is just as powerful, but it a way that can send you into a dancing fit or shoot you into a dream-like state of musical happiness. An example of that can be found on his latest album "Praise Be".

Discovering Angie Aparo that day was like the sun bursting through angry clouds after an abundance of storms or finding a shining gem in a pile of dull rocks. It was a breath of fresh air after hearing the boring, redundant music playing on the radio day after day. I swear that album was one of the greatest gifts I have ever recieved, as it played an important role in my life and honestly did change the way I view certain aspects of it.

Don't know what to download? Here are my favorites:
"Memphis City Rain"
"Spaceship"
"Wonderland"
"Third Time Around"
"Rotten"

Discover this treasure yourself at http://www.myspace.com/angieaparo

No comments: