Sunday, October 12, 2008

Kraak & Smaak @ Gignant. Apeldoorn, Netherlands.


When my cousin asked me to join her at a "Kraak & Smaak" show, I was slightly confused and flat out afraid. It sounded like some kind of drug fest where I was going to lose my dignity and maybe an eye. Once I figured out it was a harmless Dutch band, I agreed. Glad I did.

Kraak & Smaak is a band of seven from Leiden, a small town in the Netherlands. Sitting here trying to think of what genre they fall into, the only thing I can say is that their sound is like a burst of confetti in the sense that each song has its own vibe - everything from electronic to jazz to even a classical feel, all mixing together to throw a giant shindig for your ears. You never know what they're going to whip out next. They even switch up lead singers, going from male vocals to female vocals. And Rose, the only girl in the band, has some pretty amazing pipes.

In addition to feeling as if you're at a wacky variety show, this band also gets the crowd involved to the point where you feel like you're at your own surprise party and they're hosting. You clap, you jump up and down, you scream, you play sing along games. By the time the thing was over, I was drenched in my own sweat and I felt like I could rule the world... or something almost as empowering anyway.

Kraak and Smaak has a Myspace page @ http://www.myspace.com/kraaksmaak
If you live in the U.S. check out the tour dates. Kraak and Smaak is about to start a mini U.S. tour and if they play near you, I suggest you make the effort to see them. And P.S. They sing in English :)







No comments: