Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Redwalls @ La Maroquinerie. Paris.

We travelled 8 hours on a bus from Amsterdam to Paris to see The Redwalls play at La Maroquinerie, nestled in a well populated town filled with bar hoppers and trendy shop-aholics.

With it being a Fargo All Stars music festival, the price of a ticket was a bit high, but I wasn't about to forgo another opportunity to see the greatest band this generation has ever known.

Again, the place was packed and while waiting for the boys to take the stage, I met two girls from Scotland who flew all the way here to see them, after only knowing about them two weeks before. Let this be an example of just how much this band is able to get under your skin, so much that you become a world traveller just to feel that rush of another live show for under an hour. *Cough*like me*Cough*.

The Redwalls crept on stage and started the show with Justin shouting "Bonsoir!" and something else in French, then the crowd going crazy, then a setlist full of knock-you-on-your-ass-in-a-good-way type songs. Again, we danced, we sang and we forgot about life for a while. I know I recommended "Colorful Revolution" before, but for those of you who wanted something a little less bowl-cut Beatles, go with "They are Among us", about an alien invasion or "In the Time of the Machine", the last track on their self-titled album.

Unusually, there was a sad ending to the show this time. This was lead guitarist, Andrew Langer's last show. That's right, people. Langer left the band to "persue other musical opportunities". I have to admit, I was beyond upset when I heard this, as he is and always has been my favorite Redwall. I still am devastated and I'm going to be honest here and say that I don't think the band will ever sound at all the same again. Who knows. Without Langer, The Redwalls may be on their way to transforming themselves on a different level, appealing to more of a mainstream crowd and ultimately gaining more fame... or this could lead to their complete downfall. Don't get mad at me, but I'm going with the latter on this one. Even so, give them a chance. I'm planning on doing so... even though my life is pretty much over *cough cough*...


Logan Baren and his too-cool-for-school pants



Andrew Langer playing one of his last live Redwalls songs

And here's a [poor quality] video of Langer singing "On my Way":

Excuse me while I go cry myself to sleep. *Sigh*

No comments: